Criminal Law
Alan Brown: 210-227-5103
Criminal Law
Alan Brown: 210-227-5103
Family Law
Jean Brown: 210-354-2662
Serving clients throughout San Antonio and the surrounding region

Se Habla Español

What can you do if your ex-spouse is making child custody difficult?

On Behalf of | Jun 3, 2021 | Divorce

Dealing with an unreasonable ex-spouse when you’re trying to put together a good child custody plan can be infuriating. You just want your children to have a stable lifestyle and to be in two loving homes, but your ex seems to do all they can to make things harder.

If your children’s other parent has become difficult to work with or are making your life harder because there is bad blood between you, it’s time to take action. If they won’t be reasonable, there are steps you can take with your attorney’s help.

When your ex isn’t reasonable, talk to your attorney

To start with, the moment you begin having trouble with your ex-spouse is when you should be reaching out to your attorney. Tell your attorney about the issues you’re having. For example, if your ex-spouse keeps bringing your children home late, tell them that the custody orders are being violated. They may be able to help you work out of a modification or have the court enforce the order that you already have in place.

If you are being harassed, then there are other steps that you can take. For instance, there are applications that can be installed on your phone to be used for court-monitored communication. This may be beneficial if the other parent is being verbally aggressive or abusive to you. Of course, in situations where you feel physically threatened or endangered, you may also be able to request a restraining order or other support from the court.

How can you help your kids if your ex isn’t being respectful of your custody arrangements?

Try to keep your kids out of this situation as much as possible. Be reasonable when they’re present, and make sure they’re not caught up in any conflicts. Keep good documentation about when your children are picked up or dropped off, so that you can show this information to the judge if it’s requested in court.

Your attorney can help you get through this situation. Coparenting with an ex can be difficult, but when they aren’t respectful or reasonable with you, you need to take additional action.